Who We Are
Paraguas is a 501(c)(3) arts
organization (FEIN 27-0410452) and serves as fiscal agent for several Santa
Fe-based theater companies.|
Founding Members: Macarena Muñoz (Spain), Cathy Nelson (Mexico),
Gustav Alsina (Uruguay), Meg Hachman, Mary Mier, Karmela Gonzales, Enid
Howarth, Corinna MacNeice, Ron Mier, Ray Gere, Crawford MacCallum, Argos
Board of Directors:
President: Roxanne Tapia
Vice-Pesident: Alix Hudson
Secretary: Debbi Brody
Treasurer: Alan Rapoport
Martini, Jonathan Harrell, Rick Vargas, Maria Cristina Lopez, JoJo Sena de Tarnoff, Jeff Tarnoff
Executive Director: Argos MacCallum
Kids and Teens
is committed to working with teens and young people from both native Hispanic
and immigrant families.
Past projects include:
Apariciones de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe
work alongside experienced adult actors onstage, gaining invaluable experience.
This project is made possible in part by:
The 1% Lodgers' Tax
Our patrons and private donors
Teatro Paraguas maintains a 55-seat studio theatre for its own
productions and as a community resource for performing and literary arts in
northern New Mexico. We also are an incubator for emerging theatre groups, youth groups,
individual performers, poets and musicians. We have produced 53 plays since our debut performance !Neruda: Canto Porque Canto y Porque Canto! in 2004.
Our work falls
roughly into three categories:
- Poetry performance series, which honors Hispanic and Latino poets through dramatic presentations of their poetry.
- Contemporary Latino plays, including plays by New Mexico playwrights.
- Cuentos series, which bring traditional Hispanic folk talkes to life on the stage.
Since 2008, Teatro Paraguas has produced 15 plays by
ten New Mexico playwrights. We are committed to promoting local writers
whose work reflects the Hispanic/Latino/New Mexico experience.
- Revolution, by Alix Hudson
- Our Lady of Mariposas, by Alix Hudson
- Not Quite Right, by Robert Benjamin
- When The Stars Trembled in Rio
- Salt and Pepper, by Robert Benjamin
- Manhattan Glass, by Joey Chavez
- The Medea Complex, by Patricia Crespin
- The Ballad of Sucio's Frog, by Mary Mier
- Shortes and Overpopulation, by Angelo Jaramillo
- Choices, by RosaRio Roybal
- Lion in the Lamb, by Deborah Dennison
- Parted Waters, by Robert Benjamin
- We Are Hispanic-American
by Patricia Crespin
- Las tres Pigletitas y el Diablo
by Patricia Crespin
- Las Apariciónes de Nuestra Señora
by Linda Pedro de Martinez
Arrores, by Angelo Jaramillo